Sunday, June 3, 2007

Pigeons


This post may or may not be funny but I felt I should let everyone know what I am doing.

I have decided to build a pigeon loft and buy a mated pair of roller pigeons to put in it. Initially I plan to use these pigeons to help train my retriever, "Aussie". I plan to clip their wings and throw them out for him to retrieve. Don't worry this is a fairly common practice and retriever's have very soft mouths which do not typically injure the birds. This is the absolute best way to train a retriever.

After surfing several web sites regarding pigeon raising I think it may also be fun to race these birds. They really are amazing and I think will make a great hobby for me and the girls. They can fly up to 600 miles in a day and many people race them cross the entire country.

Although the picture at the top is very small it is a picture of my pigeons. Of course they are not here yet but I should have them by next Tuesday or Wednesday the 12th or 13th. One is a yellow bar cock and the hen is a red bar. Cool huh!

2 comments:

desertgirl said...

Oh, they're cuties! Can't wait to see more pics of them "in action"! Sounds like a fun hobby!

Nevaeh said...

Oh man...you have certainly turned into a hillbilly if you weren't already one! HAHA! That is pretty cool though, to race pigions. Wow. I, too, can't wait to see more pics of them!